If you’re looking to supercharge your productivity and multitasking abilities, setting up a dual monitor workspace is an excellent idea. With two screens at your command, you can keep an eye on multiple windows and programs simultaneously. But to create an ergonomic and sustainable multi-display setup, you need the right supporting hardware – enter the dual monitor stand.
A dual monitor stand lifts your screens off the desk and positions them at an optimal height and angle. This avoids neck craning and eye strain while enabling you to seamlessly glance between displays. But with so many options on the market, how do you choose the right stand for your workspace and devices?
We’ve rounded up the key factors to consider when shopping for dual monitor stands along with reviews of our top 5 picks. Read on for an in-depth look at the critical features that set the best stands apart.
Main Factors to Consider When Choosing a Dual Monitor Stand
While single monitor stands only need basic functionality, dual monitor stands require more adjustable range and weight capacity. Here are the critical factors to evaluate when comparing your options:
A quality dual monitor stand should offer ample adjustability to precisely position two monitors for your setup. Key factors include:
- Height adjustment range – Stands with pneumatic or spring height adjustment enable you to position the screens at an optimal level for your sitting height. Look for at least 4-6 inches of smooth, effortless adjustment range.
- Tilt – Monitor tilt is essential for fine-tuning the viewing angle and reducing glare. At least -5 to 15 degrees of tilt adjustment is ideal.
- Swivel – The ability to swivel monitors independently enables you to angle each screen as needed. 360° rotation is optimal.
- VESA mount compatibility – Standard VESA patterns (75×75, 100×100) allow easy connection of most monitors. Quick-release mounts add convenience.
Stability and Weight Capacity
You don’t want your expensive monitors teetering and shaking every time you type. A sturdy base and ample weight capacity prevent tipping risk.
- Solid, heavy base – A wide, weighted base provides maximum stability for peace of mind. Steel is superior to plastic.
- High weight capacity – Look for stands that can support your monitors’ combined weight plus accessories like laptops and cameras. At least 20-30 lbs capacity per arm is recommended.
Dual monitor setups mean twice the cables. A stand with built-in cable management keeps things neat and organized.
- Cable clips – Built-in clips or channels along the stand neatly route and conceal cables from view.
- Grommets – Base grommets allow cables to descend directly through the stand. This avoids cable draping over the arms.
Bonus features like USB ports, storage options and laptop stands add functionality. Consider if you’ll utilize these add-ons before choosing based on extras. Nice-to-have features include:
- USB ports – Built-in USB hubs enable convenient charging and device connectivity without reaching under your desk.
- Tool drawers – Small shelves, bins and drawers provide handy storage for desk accessories right at your fingertips.
- Laptop stands – Some stands feature mobile laptop mounts to preserve desk real estate. This allows simultaneous use of a laptop plus two monitors.
Top 5 Recommended Dual Monitor Stands
Based on the criteria above, we’ve selected our top 5 picks for quality dual monitor stands to match a range of needs and budgets:
1. Ergotron LX Dual Side-by-Side Arm
The Ergotron LX is a premium dual monitor stand prized for its phenomenal adjustability and effortless operation. The spring-assisted lift easily positions two 24” monitors weighing up to 25 lbs each.
- Tall 13” height adjustment range
- -25° to +70° tilt; 360° swivel; 360° display rotation for portrait/landscape positioning
- Sturdy polished aluminum construction
- 10-year warranty
This stand excels in nearly every category. The smooth, precise adjustments allow you to fine-tune monitor positioning with just a light touch. Robust pivot joints provide unlimited flexibility. Sturdy materials and a weighted metal base deliver rock-solid stability. Integrated cable management keeps wires neatly concealed.
The quality and functionality come at a price – the Ergotron LX is the most expensive option on our list. But for those who want the very best adjustability, it’s hard to beat.
2. Huanuo Dual Monitor Stand
For an affordable dual stand option, we like the Huanuo dual monitor mount. The sleek all-black stand holds two 20-27” monitors up to 17.6 lbs each.
- Height adjusts up to 19.7 inches
- Tilt: -90° to +85°; Swivel: 360°; Rotate: 360°
- Detachable mounting brackets with standard VESA patterns
- Built-in USB 3.0 hub
Despite the budget price, the Huanuo stand still offers ample adjustment capabilities. The double-spring counterbalance system enables smooth and easy height changes. Pivot joints provide 90° rotation for portrait or landscape positioning.
The main downgrade versus premium models is stability at full extension. But the Huanuo performs admirably for basic dual arm needs – just avoid pushing the limits of the weight capacity and extension. Overall this stand provides fantastic bang for your buck.
3. Vivo Dual LCD Monitor Desk Mount Stand
Another wallet-friendly dual mount, the Vivo stand supports two 13” to 27” displays up to 22 lbs each. The steel construction feels reassuringly solid and stable.
- Height adjusts up to 16 inches
- Tilt: -5° ~ +15°; Swivel: 360°; Rotate: 360°
- Integrated cable management
- Clamp or grommet mounting options
Easy installation is a major perk of the Vivo stand. The open C-clamp securely fastens to any desk 0.4” to 2.4” thick without tools or drilling. Or you can utilize the grommet base for feed-through cable routing.
While the range of motion isn’t as free-flowing as premium arms, all the key ergonomic adjustments are present. Reviewers praise the Vivo for providing excellent value at an accessible price point. It’s a great budget option for entry-level dual monitor setups.
4. EleTab Dual Arm Monitor Stand
The EleTab dual monitor stand provides a stable full-motion platform for monitors up to 27 inches. The aluminum alloy construction supports up to 17.6 lbs per arm.
- Height adjustment up to 13.7”
- Tilt: -90° ~ +85°; Swivel: 360° rotation; Rotate: 360°
- Detachable VESA plates accommodate curved monitors
- Built-in cable management
EleTab designed this stand with convenient features like quick-release mounts for easy attachment. The articulating arms allow for extensive range of motion to position monitors exactly as needed.
Reviewers are impressed with the EleTab stand’s high-end functionality at an affordable price. The adjustability and build quality rival more expensive models. Just be aware that the stand pushes the limits of stability at full extension with heavy monitors. But for general home office use, it strikes an excellent balance of quality and value.
5. Mount-It! Dual Monitor Mount
If you’re seeking a flexible stand on a tight budget, the Mount-It! dual arm desk mount is a great option. It fits two 13” to 27” monitors up to 22 lbs each.
- Height adjustable up to 16 inches
- Tilt -90° to +45°; Swivel 180°; Rotation 360°
- Grommet mount or C-clamp base
- Built-in cable management
While the adjustability isn’t as robust as pricier stands, you still get ample options to tweak monitor positioning. Reviewers praise the sturdy steel construction that stays stable even at full extension.
The Mount-It doesn’t have any bonus features, but it delivers reliable ergonomic flexibility at a super affordable price. For home office users who don’t need heavy-duty capacity, it provides excellent dual arm functionality without blowing your budget.
Comparing the Top 5 Dual Monitor Stands
|Stand||Height Range||Weight Capacity||Tilt||Swivel||Price|
|Ergotron LX||13”||25 lbs per arm||-25° to +70°||360°||$$$$$|
|Huanuo||19.7”||17.6 lbs per arm||-90° to +85°||360°||$$|
|Vivo||16”||22 lbs per arm||-5° to +15°||360°||$$|
|EleTab||13.7”||17.6 lbs per arm||-90° to +85°||360°||$$|
|Mount-It!||16”||22 lbs per arm||-90° to +45°||180°||$|
In terms of premium features and build quality, the Ergotron LX is hands-down the leader of the pack. The polished stability and adjustment range justify the top-tier pricing for power users.
The Huanuo and Vivo models offer excellent quality for the price. They provide stable ergonomic positioning for basic home office needs.
For those on a strict budget, the Mount-It! delivers surprisingly decent dual arm functionality without breaking the bank.
The right choice comes down to your budget, required capacity, and adjustment needs. Any of these stands can elevate your dual monitor setup over makeshift books and boxes though!
Frequently Asked Questions About Dual Monitor Stands
Do I need a special desk for dual monitors?
Not necessarily! Quality stands have bases designed to work on any flat surface 0.4” thick or greater. C-clamps secure firmly to the back edge of your existing desk without drilling. Grommet mounts utilize an existing hole or can add one easily. You just need around 30 inches of width to position two monitors side-by-side.
How far apart should my monitors be?
As a general rule of thumb, you want the bezels of side-by-side monitors to sit 1 to 3 inches apart. This slight gap helps your eyes distinguish between screens. Adjustable monitor arms allow you to tweak spacing to your ideal comfort.
Can I install monitors vertically?
Absolutely! The best dual monitor stands allow each arm to rotate 360 degrees for portrait orientation. This allows you to stack monitors vertically to save horizontal desk space.
Do stands fit curved monitors?
Many dual monitor stands accommodate curved displays these days. Look for models like the EleTab with detachable VESA plates that conform to a curved back. Curved monitors generally have the same VESA mounting points as flat panels. Just ensure the stand is rated to hold the weight.
How much weight can it hold?
Dual monitor stand capacity typically ranges from 17.5 to 30 lbs per arm. Consider the combined weight of both monitors plus any laptops or accessories that will sit on the stand. Exceeding weight limits strains the springs and can cause unstable bouncing or tipping.
Can I adjust height separately for each monitor?
The best dual stands like the Ergotron LX allow independent height adjustment of each arm. This enables you to align monitors of different sizes or place primary/secondary screens at different levels. Cheaper stands often have linked arms that only move in unison though.
Do stands work with laptop + monitor setup?
Yes, many monitor mounts have a laptop tray that clamps onto one arm. This allows you to position a laptop beside or below a monitor. Some stands even offer charging ports in the laptop tray to power your computer. This creates an integrated stationary workstation.
Adding a second monitor can really take your productivity to the next stratosphere. But you’ll need an adjustable, stable stand to create this command center. Considering key factors like lift range, weight capacity, ergonomic motion, and build quality will ensure your dual monitor setup sustains peak performance.
Based on our criteria, the Ergotron LX is the best option for power users that demand ultimate adjustability. The Huanuo and Vivo stands deliver impressive quality for the price. And the Mount-It! gives you dual arms on a budget.
Whichever stand you choose, using two monitors helps you multitask seamlessly, avoids neck strain, and minimizes desktop clutter. Your workflow will thank you!