Frameless IPS monitors have exploded in popularity over the last few years, and for good reason. With their sleek and modern bezel-free design, frameless displays provide more screen real estate while looking super clean and minimalist on your desk.
But these ultra-thin bezel monitors aren’t just about looks. They also give you crisp, vivid colors and great viewing angles thanks to in-plane switching (IPS) display technology. This makes them excellent choices for gaming, creative work, entertainment and productivity.
However, with so many frameless IPS monitor options hitting the market, how do you pick the right one for your needs and budget? This comprehensive guide will walk you through everything you need to know to find your perfect frameless IPS display.
What Are Frameless Monitors and Why Do You Want One?
A frameless monitor, as the name suggests, has little to no plastic framing or bezels around the screen. This creates a seamless, almost edge-to-edge display look once the monitor is powered on.
By eliminating thick, black borders, frameless monitors give you more actual screen space while taking up less total desk footprint. A 27 inch frameless monitor, for example, will physically take up less space than a traditional 27 inch monitor with chunky bezels.
Here are some of the biggest benefits of opting for a frameless IPS display:
- Sleek, modern aesthetics – Nothing beats the clean, slick look of a bezel-free monitor on your work desk or gaming setup. Frameless monitors look impressive and high-tech compared to old-school monitors with clunky frames.
- More usable screen space – Shaving off bezels means you gain more actual viewable area on your monitor, letting you see more spreadsheets, web pages, creative applications and games.
- Great for multi-monitor setups – The seamless look of frameless monitors is perfect for multi-display configurations. The minimized borders allow images to flow almost naturally between screens for a unified desktop.
- Enhanced immersion – Whether you’re gaming, watching movies or working, frameless monitors help draw you in more to what’s on-screen and feel less distracting.
- Maximized desk space – With a smaller overall footprint, frameless displays give you more available room for other devices, accessories and items on your desk surface.
- IPS color and viewing angles – IPS panels, unlike cheaper TN panels, provide vibrant colors, inky blacks and 178° wide viewing angles. Ideal for color accuracy.
Clearly, the visual appeal of a borderless, frameless monitor is a huge selling point. But once you experience an IPS display first-hand, you’ll fall in love with the gorgeous colors and ability to view the screen clearly from any angle.
The Top 5 Frameless IPS Monitors in 2022
With more display manufacturers embracing thin-bezel designs, there are now lots of frameless IPS monitors to choose from in 2022.
Based on extensive research and reviews, these are my current top 5 picks:
1. Dell Ultrasharp 27 4K IPS Monitor (U2720Q)
Dell’s Ultrasharp monitors have long been a gold standard for professional-grade displays. The U2720Q brings the line into the modern, minimalist age with virtually non-existent bezels.
Despite its thin profile, this 27 inch 4K IPS monitor is packed with premium features:
- 3840 x 2160 resolution at 60Hz refresh rate
- Excellent color accuracy (98% sRGB coverage)
- USB-C and DisplayPort connectivity
- Wide 178° viewing angles with anti-glare coating
- Fully adjustable stand with 90° pivot for portrait orientation
- Supports HDR content
- Great price for a 4K IPS display
With stunning visuals, great ergonomics and USB-C connectivity, the Dell U2720Q is a frameless all-rounder suitable for mixed usage from gaming to professional creative work.
2. LG 27UK850 27″ 4K IPS Monitor
LG makes several compelling frameless monitors, but the 27UK850 stands out for its rich feature set and beautiful 4K visuals.
Key specs and highlights:
- Crisp 3840 x 2160 4K resolution
- USB-C, HDMI and DisplayPort connections
- AMD FreeSync support for smoother gaming
- HDR 10 support for expanded contrast and color
- Virtually borderless design on all four sides
- Height, tilt and pivot adjustable stand
- VESA mount compatible
- Built-in speakers (average quality)
With HDR compatibility, FreeSync and USB-C connectivity, this LG monitor is a great blend of form and function. The stunning 4K visuals and slim bezel design make it especially appealing for creative work and entertainment.
3. ASUS ProArt PA279CV 27″ IPS Monitor
For professional creators who demand color accuracy, the ASUS ProArt PA279CV delivers impressive specs in a stylish frameless package.
What you get:
- Accurate 14-bit 100% sRGB and 100% Rec. 709 color gamut
- Factory calibrated for delta E < 2 color precision
- 27 inch IPS panel with WQHD 2560 x 1440 resolution
- USB-C with 65W power delivery to charge laptops
- Height adjustable stand and VESA mount compatible
- Calman Verified and hardware calibration supported
- Micro HDMI, DisplayPort and USB 3.0 ports
With its pre-calibrated IPS panel and unrivaled color reproduction, this ASUS monitor is a fantastic choice for photographers, video editors and graphic designers. It essentially provides studio-quality color at an approachable price.
4. BenQ PD2700U 27″ IPS Monitor
BenQ’s PD line has emerged as a top contender for creative professionals, combining IPS color accuracy with CAD-friendly features.
Why designers love the PD2700U:
- 100% sRGB and Rec. 709 color spaces
- QHD 2560 x 1440 resolution with 27″ screen size
- Proprietary eye care technology reduces eyestrain
- Hotkey Puck for quick switching color modes
- Rotate, tilt, swivel and height adjustable stand
- Supports hardware calibrations via calibrator
- Dual HDMI, DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort and USB 3.0 ports
As a designer-centric monitor with QHD resolution, the BenQ PD2700U allows creative pros to work comfortably while benefiting from beautiful colors.
5. ViewSonic VP2768 27″ Frameless IPS Monitor
Rounding out my top picks is the ViewSonic VP2768. It’s a well-priced 27 inch frameless IPS display with great features for the price.
- Slim bezels on all four sides
- WQHD 2560 x 1440 resolution
- 60Hz refresh rate with 5ms response time
- Flexible height/tilt/swivel/pivot adjustments
- Built-in USB 3.0 hub
- 100% sRGB color coverage and hardware calibration
- HDMI, DisplayPort and mini DisplayPort connectivity
For under $400, the ViewSonic VP2768 delivers accurate IPS color reproduction and WQHD resolution in a stylish frameless design. A great budget choice for creative and office work.
How to Choose the Best Frameless IPS Monitor for You
Beyond just the slim bezels, there are several important factors to weigh when picking your ideal frameless IPS display:
Screen Size and Resolution
Bigger isn’t always better when choosing a monitor size. A 24 to 27 inch monitor is ideal for most users. Larger monitors are great for expansivecreative workspaces, heavy multitasking and immersive gaming.
For resolution, 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) is fine for 24 inch monitors and normal usage. But 27+ inch displays look best at 2560 x 1440 (QHD) or 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution. This provides extra sharpness for reading text and viewing high-res images/video.
Refresh Rate and Response Time
Refresh rate (Hz) determines how many times per second your monitor updates with new image data. Standard is 60Hz, but gaming monitors can reach 144Hz, 165Hz or even 240Hz for super smooth motion clarity.
Response time measures how quickly your monitor reacts to changing frame data. 5ms or below is excellent. IPS monitors typically have slower response times than TN monitors, but the better colors are worth this trade-off for non-competitive gaming.
At minimum, your monitor should have HDMI and DisplayPort to easily connect with computers and devices.
USB-C connectivity allows for single cable charging and video transfer. USB hub ports are also nice for plugging in peripherals right at your monitor. Some monitors have built-in Bluetooth connectivity as well.
Gaming monitors often include DisplayPort and HDMI 2.0 inputs to enable high refresh rates from gaming PCs and consoles.
Stand Adjustability and VESA Mounts
An adjustable stand that provides tilt, swivel, pivot and height adjustments gives you flexibility to position the monitor for ideal ergonomic comfort. Pivoting to portrait orientation is handy for tasks like coding or document editing.
VESA mounting support allows you to mount the monitor to a wall mount or arm. This frees up valuable desk space.
IPS panels inherently provide good color reproduction. But for creative work, look for 100% (or close to it) coverage of sRGB and Rec. 709 color spaces that ensure colors are accurate. Factory color calibrations are also ideal for out-of-box color precision.
Frameless IPS monitors range from around $250 to $800+ depending on features, panel quality, resolution and more. Determine how much you can spend, then find the best match with your ideal specs within your budget.
Prioritize the features and connectivity that are most important for how you plan to use the monitor. You can often save money with a QHD monitor versus higher priced 4K monitors without sacrificing much.
Considering these key factors will help you select the right frameless IPS display for your needs and workspace setup.
Why Frameless IPS Monitors Are Great for Different Uses
Beyond the obvious modern aesthetics, frameless IPS monitors provide some unique advantages for certain use cases compared to standard monitors.
The gaming landscape has shifted to prioritize speed, fluidity and immersion. Fast refresh rates allow you to see more frames per second for responsive gameplay. Frameless monitors with thinner bezels increase your sense of immersion in the game world.
Gamers should look for features like:
- High refresh rates – 144Hz or above reduces input lag and motion blur for super smooth gaming. Nvidia G-Sync and AMD FreeSync match the monitor’s refresh rate to your GPU’s frame rate.
- Low response times – Under 5ms response time ensures fast pixel transitions for minimal ghosting during fast on-screen motion.
- HDR support – High dynamic range enables greater contrast, deeper blacks, and more vivid colors. Makes games really pop compared to standard monitors.
- Curved screen – A curved monitor like the Samsung Odyssey G7 improves your field of view and sense of immersion for gaming. Just be aware some users may notice distortion.
A fast IPS gaming monitor with minimal bezels pulls you deeper into the gaming experience. The vibrant colors and crisp motion clarity beat what standard TN panels can offer.
Movies & Video
Watching films, shows and video content on an IPS monitor gives you rich, true-to-life colors, sharp resolution, and terrific viewing angles. This creates a cinematic viewing experience right from your desk.
Prioritize monitors with:
- 4K resolution – 3840 x 2160 4K UHD provides extra clarity and detail for video, letting you see every pixel. Makes content really pop visually.
- HDR support – High dynamic range creates greater contrast between the darkest shadows and brightest highlights. Expands the color spectrum for ultra-vivid imagery.
- Accurate color – A wide color gamut like DCI-P3 gives you true-to-life color reproduction. Movie industry standard.
- High contrast ratio – Amplifies differences between black and white. IPS monitors typically have 1000:1+ contrast for inky blacks beside bright whites.
A frameless IPS monitor effectively becomes a desktop cinema, immersing you in movies and shows without distraction.
Photo & Video Editing
Digital creatives demand the best color reproduction and accuracy possible. Frameless IPS monitors are perfect for photo editing, video editing, visual effects, animation, graphic design and similar work.
Look for monitors geared for creative pros with these specs:
- 10-bit (or 8-bit+FRC) panels – Produces over 1 billion possible colors for smoother color gradients. Avoid 6-bit panels with just 262k colors.
- sRGB and Rec. 709 color – Coverage close to 100% of these color spaces ensures colors translate properly across devices.
- Factory calibrated panels – Out-of-box calibration to Delta E < 2 accuracy saves time and effort. Hardware LUTs maintain color precision.
- Matte anti-glare finish – Reduces reflections and glare that obstruct clear image viewing for color-critical work.
- QHD or 4K resolution – Extra pixels provide sharpness for examining fine image and video details.
Professional creatives working in photography, video, graphic design and similar fields gain huge advantages from the true-to-life colors and clarity of an editing-focused IPS monitor.
Office Work & Productivity
For business professionals, office settings, remote work and productivity usage, the priorities may differ. But frameless IPS monitors still provide key benefits.
Ideal traits for productivity monitors:
- QHD 2560 x 1440 resolution – Higher than 1080p for extra usable screen space, without demanding full 4K. Good compromise.
- Height adjustable stands – Proper ergonomics reduce neck/eye strain during long work days.
- Blue light reduction – Minimizes blue light exposure that can affect sleep cycles and eye fatigue.
- USB-C connectivity – Single cable connection for video, data and power delivery. Clean, clutter-free desk.
- KVM switch – Control two PCs from one keyboard and monitor to easily switch between work devices.
- Dual monitors – Extend your desktop workspace across two frameless displays for ultimate multitasking productivity.
While color accuracy isn’t critical for office work, IPS monitors still provide excellent all-around visuals, ergonomics and desktop space for productivity.
Common Frameless Monitor FAQs
Here I’ll break down answers to some frequently asked questions about frameless monitors:
Are frameless monitors more expensive than regular monitors?
Frameless monitors used to cost more, but as the technology has matured, prices have come down significantly. You can now find frameless IPS monitors across a wide range of price points from $250 to $1000+. There are budget options as well as high-end professional monitors. The average cost tends to align with standard monitors with bezels.
Do frameless monitors cause more eye strain?
They generally do not cause more eye strain. IPS panels with proper anti-glare coatings, blue light reduction modes and ergonomic stands can actually reduce eye fatigue versus inferior TN panels. Of course, long periods staring at any digital screen can still cause eye discomfort. But a quality IPS monitor won’t inherently cause more strain.
What’s better for gaming: curved or flat frameless monitor?
This depends on personal preference. Curved monitors can increase perceived field of view and immersion. But motion clarity is often better on flat screens. Also, curved monitors can distort straight lines at the edges. A moderate 1000R curvature works nicely for many, but flat IPS gaming monitors are still excellent for their vivid colors and fast response.
How do you clean a frameless monitor safely?
Use a microfiber cloth to gently wipe dust and dirt away. For tougher dried-on spots, lightly dampen the cloth with distilled water or a 50/50 diluted white vinegar solution. Never use harsh chemicals. Spray the solution onto the cloth, not directly on the screen. Avoid excessive pressure and let the solution soften the grime. Wipe gently.
Is a frameless monitor or TV better for console gaming?
For PS5, Xbox Series X and Switch, a monitor is often better for reducing input lag and maximizing frame rates. Monitors have faster response times than most TVs. Frameless monitors around 27 inches are perfect for console gaming. Larger monitors can feel overwhelming for desk usage. Prioritize IPS panels and 120Hz+ refresh rates.
What refresh rate is best for gaming vs work usage?
For gaming, shoot for 144Hz or higher refresh rate. This smoothens motion and reduces input lag. Work and productivity usage doesn’t demand high refresh rates to be comfortable. A standard 60Hz refresh is ample for office tasks, creative work, watching video etc. Some opt for 75Hz for a bit of added smoothness.
Is an adjustable stand a must, or are fixed stands ok?
An adjustable stand is highly recommended. The ability to raise, lower, tilt, swivel and rotate your monitor provides proper ergonomics. Without adjustability, you may experience neck, shoulder or eye strain from a fixed monitor positioned too high, low or angled. Investing in an adjustable monitor improves viewing comfort and posture.
Can you use a standard VESA mount with a frameless monitor?
The vast majority of frameless monitors support standard 100 x 100mm or 75 x 75 mm VESA mounting. So you can install wall mounts, articulated arms or other hardware that adheres to VESA standards. This allows for positioning flexibility. Just be sure to confirm VESA compatibility before purchasing any mounting accessories or wall brackets.
Which connection cables will I need for my frameless monitor?
At minimum, you’ll want an HDMI or DisplayPort cable to connect your monitor. Many monitors include these. HDMI supports up to 4K 60Hz while DisplayPort handles higher resolutions and refresh rates. For high resolution gaming, use a DisplayPort 1.4 cable. USB-C handles video and data over a single cable. Mini DisplayPort and DVI ports may also be found on some monitors. Always use the cable(s) that match the outputs from your computer/device and support your target resolution and refresh rate.
What resolution should I get for a 27″ vs 32″ monitor?
For 27 inch monitors, QHD 2560 x 1440 is the ideal resolution for sharpness, text clarity, and balancing screen space with UI size. At 32 inches, a 4K 3840 x 2160 monitor is recommended so the added pixels provide suitable sharpness. A 32 inch 1440p monitor may look a bit pixelated up close.
Are built-in speakers on monitors worth it?
Most monitors have basic integrated speakers that sound tinny and flat. They’re usable in a pinch, but a decent set of external speakers or headphones will provide far superior audio. Prioritize the panel quality and core features of a monitor over its built-in speakers. Consider speakers a bonus rather than a selling point.
Is a curved or flat frameless monitor better?
This depends on your usage and preferences. Curved monitors wrap around your field of view for a more immersive experience, especially in gaming. But flat screens offer more accurate image quality, especially for creative work. Curved displays also sometimes distort straight lines. Try curved vs flat monitors in person to see what appeals most to your eyes.
How can I prevent backlight bleed on a frameless IPS monitor?
Some light bleed is inevitable, but you can minimize it. Avoid pressing on the panel, place the monitor on a stable surface, don’t tilt too far back, ensure the frameless bezel is properly snapped in place, and reduce screen brightness. Also check for excessive bleed and return the monitor if necessary. Massaging the bezel gently may help too.
What’s a good price range for a quality frameless IPS monitor?
You can find solid 1080p IPS monitors starting around $180-$250. For sharper 1440p resolution expect to pay $250-$400. High-end 4K creative pro monitors range from $600-$1000. Prioritize your required features and resolution, then get the best IPS monitor possible within your budget. Overall, $250-$500 gets you excellent quality without overspending.
Final Recommendations for Picking the Best Frameless IPS Display
Frameless IPS monitors provide a beautiful blend of minimalist modern aesthetics and stellar color performance. They’re especially great for gaming, creative work, content consumption and productivity usage.
Focus first on identifying your ideal panel specs based on how you plan to use the monitor. For gaming, consider refresh rates, response times and adaptive sync support. Creative pros need accurate colors. Productivity relies more on ergonomics. Choose a monitor that aligns with your needs and goals.
Equally consider your desk space. Larger 32 inch monitors may overwhelm small desks, while compact 24 inch displays are great for tight work areas. Measure to ensure the monitor will fit comfortably on your desktop.
Lastly, invest in a quality monitor arm or adjustable stand for ideal viewing angles. This prevents any neck or eye strain. With attention to these practical aspects, a frameless IPS monitor can become the perfect centerpiece display for your desk that both looks amazing and also enhances your daily work and entertainment.